Sunday, June 5, 2011

If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it!

And now it’s Thursday:
OK….no WIFI here in Jacob Lake…heck the Jacob Lake Inn (located here at the corner of gas station and street with no real name) has no phones or TV in the rooms however they do make a great chocolate milkshake so they get my vote as a  5 star resort. AND…there was an old wooden telephone booth in the lobby with a dial phone and a wooden seat and it even worked! I went and sat in it since I figured I might never see one again.  The National Forest Service Ranger told us that there had been talk of WIFI a year or so ago at the Inn…but nothing ever came of it. Apparently things move slowly up here. We did see the strangest squirrel which only  lives here on the Kaibab Plateau. Aptly named the White tailed Kaibab Squirrel,  it has a LONG while fluffy tail and really really long ears.  It’s the craziest squirrel (or perhaps I should say the “squirreliest” looking squirrel) I have ever seen! There are no bears here on the Plateau because water is so scarce.
Our neighbors here are full timers from New York…they’ve been doing this for 2 yrs. We spent a couple of hours with them looking at pictures and having a great afternoon.
Tomorrow is the dreaded laundry day since it’s chilly up here and my only 2 pair of blue jeans (silly me, I expected warm weather on this May and June trip!) as you can probably imagine are rather funky from Dog Town and Cat World.  But at least I will be able to crawl across the passenger seat of the Tracker, open the driver door and if the wind isn’t blowing it will still be open by the time I run around to the drivers side to get in it….and then I can at least PARK in front of the LARGE laundry facility that they have here….unlike the Woodalls 3 star rated Arch View Resort in Moab(sorry, I just couldn’t NOT get in one more shot)
Today is Friday:  Everything’s better with butter
Well, there will be a special place in heaven for Bill when the time comes. I came home from doing mountains of laundry to a clean (inside) motorhome. Vacuumed, dusted, trash emptied….what a wonderful treat. Only topped by the last time I did laundry and came home to soft music, wine and a lovely dinner. He is a true gem. We walked a trail through the woods to the Jacob Lake Inn for lunch today where I had the best burger I have ever eaten.  The trail head marker said it was 1 mile from the campground. The trail head marker coming BACK said it was 1 ¼ mile from the Inn. I figured a woman measured it from the campground and a man measured it from the Inn. But I digress. The burger was 1/3 lb of ground beef with mushrooms and onions molded into the patty. Then topped with carmelized onions, green chili’s more mushrooms, bacon slices  and tomato. THEN..it’s served on homemade bread that has been soaked in BUTTER and fried in a pan. OMG.  No ketchup or mustard needed as it had all the flavor you could ever want “as-is”.
Jacob Lake used to be a decent size lake. However when the owners of this campground decided to “improve” upon Mother Nature, it was ruined.  They wanted an even BIGGER lake so they started digging it out.  They broke the crust and the lake shrunk in size.  Now it is Jacob Puddle.  You can see where the lake used to be as there are no trees in the old lake bed.  It can be repaired but it “costs too much”…so Jacob Lake is really not a lake anymore. Sad. As one young man up at the Inn said “ They broke it, they should fix it. That’s how I was raised.” Amen, brother.



No comments:

Post a Comment