Sunday, June 5, 2011

Best Friends Day 2

Day 2 at Best Friends took me to Cat World. Notice that the dogs have Dog Town and the cats have Cat World. If you’ve ever owned a cat you wouldn’t even question the distinction. I requested to work with the Special Needs cats.  These cats are the ones who are not necessarily old, nor necessarily feral or missing limbs but those who have severe neurological disorders, paralysis, terminal illnesses( but who are still functioning in a good “quality of life” modeand have not been placed on a Quality of Life Watch list)  and generally just cats who need assistance with everyday living. Kind of like a Long Term Care Facility for cats. I was the only volunteer in this area and there’s a lot of hard work to be done here. These cats are “fighters” and it is awe inspiring to watch them live with their disabilities. These cats, like our human kind who prosper despite of their circumstances, are inspiring.  I am SO glad I worked in this particular “home”..we had ONLY 68 in residence ( capacity I think was 130) and I was able to not only work my pa-tootie off but also had a lot of time to play  with them and give attention.   I even took one fellow on a walk.  It was exhausting but yet a wonderful day. I NEVER felt sorry for them as they had a wonderful home and a wonderful life with people who cared for them daily.
Bill was feeling better by the time I got back and ready for a short car ride after having been on his back for days. We went to Moqui Cave…an actual cave owned by the Chamberlain family and filled with antiquities found on their property. Even dinosaur tracks…LOTs of them! The items had been authenticated (for you doubting Thomas’s out there) by the U of Utah. It was an interesting tour and cold in that cave!!
Tomorrow we head out for Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. It was not on our original radar but it looks interesting and we have a few days to kill before heading to Jacob Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment